MEP of the year TwitterFacebookYouTubeRSS

Living There

Basic Rights

  • As an EU citizen you are entitled to stay and settle in any EU country.

Your Family

  • This fundamental right extends to members of your family. If they are not EU nationals, the country concerned may require an entry visa.

Right To Settle

  • For periods shorter than three months: all you need is a valid identity card or passport.
  • For periods longer than three months: you have the right to settle in another EU country if:
  • You are a worker or self-employed in the host EU country, or
  • You are enrolled at a private or public establishment for the principal purpose of following a course of study, including vocational training, or
  • You have sufficient resources for you and your family members and you have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host EU country.
  • For further information, see the Your Europe website:


  • If you have a new car, no checks can be imposed in the new country. If you have a used car, it may have to undergo a road worthiness test.
  • In general you have to register your car under the normal number plates of the new country, as well as pay vehicle registration and car tax in that country.
  • You can use your car on a temporary basis in any other EU country without paying taxes for six months out of any 12 months. This does not apply to ‘frontier workers’ — people who work every day in a neighbouring country.

Driving Licence

  • You can drive in the new EU country on the licence from your home country. However, the EU country will apply its own rules as regards the period of licence validity, medical checks and tax rules.

Your Belongings

  • They can be moved without any restrictions and without paying customs duties or taxes.


  • In order to prevent double taxation, you need to establish whether you are ‘resident for tax purposes’ in the new country — which essentially means that you declare all your income there.
  • You should do this by contacting the tax authorities in your home country and the new country. Check also whether any formalities have to be completed before your departure.

Voting and Standing For Election

  • You can vote and stand as a candidate in the new country under the same conditions as nationals of that country in:
  • Municipal (local) elections: note that you do not automatically lose your vote in your home country if you vote in the new country;
  • European elections: note that you must register on the electoral role. You will automatically lose your vote in your home country if you vote in the new country.

Login Form